One of the big things that I've been doing is finding things to eat. I've just about eaten the last of my food in the piso (read: oatmeal and peanut butter), and I alternate between going out to eat and just not eating. It isn't really worth it to go buy groceries for a week, and anything I buy meets a soggy and smelly fate in my fridge. This is why -
It is really gross, I know. What happens is everything on the shelf above mine (ironically, the roommate/landlady/resident dictator's) drips onto my shelf. I don't know exactly what the hell she has, but it smells and it's very watery. No matter how many times I mop it up, it comes back. So I'm protesting by doing nothing about it, leaving all the food untouched, letting it get all moldy and smelly and then leaving. Take that, you bruja!Last week we had papers to write, and for a brief moment Kate and I broke our laser-like focus to discover that our sweatshirts zip up really high!
Yes, I'll admit that our classes aren't the hardest. But they are still work, and let's face it, work is hard.
Last Thursday we rewarded ourselves for all of that toiling by going out one last time to the International Cervecería, one of our favorites because it has great tapas and just about any kind of beer you can think of.
Later that night we went to the botellon again and saw my former roommate Gabriel!
Cinco de Mayo was a lot of fun. Of course, they don´t celebrate it in Spain because it is (one of) Mexico's Independence Day. We Americans didn't forget though! Claire had a fiesta at her piso with REAL MEXICAN FOOD OMG. Everyone in the group has REALLY missed Mexican food. They don't have it here in Spain because they don't like 1) spicy (read: anything barely above bland) or 2) international food. Only the extranjeros mix it up. (Side note: I can't wait to go home and have a variety of food. Fat kid misses everything - chinese food, indian food, sushi, mexican food, BBQ, Panera's, Cosí, Taco Bell, Zen Zero, Mongolian BBQ, salads, real milk, red meat, salmon, pancakes, anything baked in an oven...so if you want to go out to eat with me, or invite me over to your house, or come over and eat my parents out of house and home when I get back please let me know.) This is me, Kate, and Mila enjoying the pseudo-Mexican festivities -
Sunday we went to Finisterra, which is famous for being the western most point in Europe - also known as the "End of the World". It was 2 hours away by bus, and lo and behold, everything was closed JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE IN EUROPE because it was Sunday. That meant we couldn't take the ferry to the actual western most part, boo hoo. So we...had lunch where Kate got yelled at because the waiter thought she was stealing ice cream (a lie, she just sped up the process by serving her self with full intention of paying), sat on a bench looking at the ocean for an hour, then took the bus home.The ocean -
A big anchor -
And the quintessential Galician muesum -
This week is our finals week, barf. I brought my camera to the last day of grammar class so I could take some pictures for memory's sake.
This is some street art I see walking to South Campus every day. And they say drinking to get drunk isn't in the Spanish culture!
The typical Euro anti-Bush propoganda -
The window in our classroom. Also known as "why I'll probably get a B (oops)". Really pretty view, isn't it?
Kate and I sitting next to each other, which was rare. We often got separated. I still can't understand why. It is probably because our teachers have the philosophy of "if you are laughing, you aren't learning" (not kidding, one of them actually told Kate that). And how can you NOT have fun sitting next to this girl?
Today we went for a tour of the Cathedral with our Islam in Spain class. While we were outside listening attentively to our profesora I took these pictures of the Cathedral. This, dear readers, is actual algae/moss/vegetation that grows ON the outside of the Cathedral because it rains so much. I don't know a thing about plants, really, but I do notice that in the dry, sunny climates there isn't any green stuff growing on the outside of buildings. So I'll make the educated correlation that it has to rain a lot for vegetation to grow on the outside of buildings. To conclude, there is a soul-crushing amount of rain here in Santiago and this is proof -

This is a sculpture in the Cathedral of a woman.
When it was first made way back in the day, she had really big boobs. The bishop had a fit when he saw it and said it was sinful to have something like that in the church, so he immediately ordered the statue to have a boob reduction. The people of Santiago didn't like this idea at all, so they protested by making this cheese, which is aptly titled queso de tetilla (translation: tit cheese) -
The church altered the statue anyway, but the cheese stuck around. Now it is considered one of the delicacies of Galicia. We actually had it yesterday, it is quite good. And hysterical.
Tomorrow my last final (!!) then tomorrow night we have our group farewell dinner with all of our professors. I am sure it will be a lot of fun, por lo menos it should be amusing to see our professors in a non-academic setting.
