Sunday, March 11, 2007

To Market, To Market

We have had a string of good weather days here in Santiago - meaning warm (mid 60's), sunshine, and not a cloud in the sky. This is the weather I've dreamed of - one can only take so many rainy, cold days. Finally, it seems Spring is here. Santiago seems like an entirely different city when it is not waterlogged, you can really notice all of the beautiful things that you overlook when you are darting from place to place under your umbrella.
Today there was a market in the Praza da Quintana which is right behind the Cathedral. There were many tents with people selling jewelry, wooden toys, herbs and food.
Among the herbs you could find a cure to any ailment that you might have.
After a few minutes of looking around, it really felt like any arts and crap fair that I've ever been to. The market was a lot of fun nonetheless, it was wonderful to be outside in the sunshine and I bought a pair of earrings as well as this really good empanada de atun with Kate.
Since it was such a picturesque day, Kate and I decided to take full advantage of the weather and find a park that we could read in. We settled on Parque de Santo Domingo de Bonaval which is on the other side of the Old Zone. The park was full of all sorts of people, mostly students just like us.
Kate in the park! :)
Both Kate and I are reading Harry Potter, and when we finish the book, it will be the longest book we've ever read cover to cover in Spanish. I love reading it because its is a really cute story and it makes me feel like I've really improved my Spanish.
The most exciting thing about today is that it is a week until my mom comes to visit me! I cannot wait to see her. Even though I have done a lot better than I thought I would adjusting to living abroad, I do get homesick sometimes and it has helped tremendously having my mom's visit to look forward to. I really, really wish my dad and sister were coming too - but it is really expensive to fly overseas.

Enrollment is coming up quickly at KU, which reminds me that I will be coming home eventually. It is REALLY weird to think that next year I'll be a senior in college! I am throwing around the idea of starting Portuguese classes. This began because Mila invited me to visit her in Brazil over winter break, but the more I think about it the more it would make sense to know Portuguese if I decide to become an immigration lawyer.

Speaking of classes, I should go start what little homework I have for tomorrow.

Besitos!

1 comment:

Kate said...

i really enjoyed going to the market with you today! and going to the park and reading non-class stuff!!
besitos,
pokey