Wednesday, February 14, 2007

el cumpleaños espanola

Monday was my 21st birthday. I woke up a bit melancholy because I knew that even though it was my birthday, I wouldn’t be able to celebrate with my family and friends. I checked my email as I ate my breakfast, and saw that two of my dearest friends – Clark and Naseem – had made a video for me wishing me happy birthday and pretending like they were celebrating with me. I must have watched it a dozen times; it really felt like they were right there with me. In that moment I decided to pull my head of my ass and change my attitude about my birthday. Yes, it wouldn’t be the same, but it wouldn’t stop me from enjoying the day.

I walked out of the apartment to another wonderful gift – sunshine! I beamed the whole way to campus. Once I got to class, I took a cue from my Aunt Suzy and told everyone that it was my birthday. I got lots of well wishes and was promised many free drinks. After class Hannah treated me to Burger King, which is quite a delicacy here in Santiago, especially because it tastes exactly the same as it does at home (read: no under-cooked, sketchy beef). Walking home I decided to buy some alcohol, not that I wasn’t able to the day before, but it made me feel very 21. I checked my email again once I got home and read all of the online cards and emails wishing me a happy birthday. I once again felt that even though the people I care about aren’t here in Spain in person, they were celebrating with me in spirit. I escaped to my grammar class after a short lecture from the roommate/landlady/resident dictator about how I didn’t clean the inside of the trashcan well enough (seriously?! On my birthday?!) and bought one of my favorite Spanish pastries on the way. I have no idea what they are called, but they kind of look like giant chocolate covered ears that are made of some sweet bread. In class my profesora sang happy birthday to me and tugged on my ear (apparently this is the Spanish tradition, which I much prefer to the American tradition of getting spanks on your birthday. Not that I’ve actually ever gotten spanked on my birthday, but still). Then Theresa (my German friend) gave me a bottle of wine with my name written on it decorated with little Kinder chocolates! I was so surprised/excited that I literally could not stop myself from giggling and clapping my hands.

After class Kate treated me to dinner, and then I returned home to a little fiesta with the roommates, along with Kate, Manu, Anna (my French friend), Theresa, and Jefferson.

Gabriel and his girlfriend gave me another bottle of wine, Mila gave me flip-flops from Brazil with little Brazilian flags on them, Manuel gave me some traditional Santiago cookies, and Jefferson made me a very ornate box out of paper.

Theresa, Me, and Anna!

Jefferson and I!

Mila and I!

Kate and Manu!


After we were done with the cake, we went to Moore’s per the usual Monday tradition for British/American trivia night. Once I got there I was surprised with another cake from my Kansas group!


The party at Moore's

I really hate this picture, but this is for you Clark and Naseem :)

The night was a ton of fun. I enjoyed several free drinks, and even tried a tequila shot or two (only because it was my birthday, I’m not really a fan of tequila). Mindy gave me this book in Spanish about “tu madre”(ha ha!!), and Farashta gave me a torta de Santiago, a cake that has an almond flavor to it and is one of my favorite things ever. Later in the night, I was serenaded by Kate and Anna who hijacked the microphone that is used for the trivia game.

As I walked home from the bar that night I thought about how lucky I was to have such incredible friends. I’ll try not to make this sound sappy – but bear with me a moment. One of my secret fears in coming to Spain was that my friends would forget about me a little. My birthday showed me that even though I’m not there in Kansas doesn’t mean that people forgot about me. In fact, quite the opposite. You all may be an ocean away, but you still are very close to me. Also, I feel very lucky to have such good friends here in Spain. I have only been here a month but already have several friendships that feel as fun and effortless as if I have had them for years.

So maybe distance really doesn’t matter. Perhaps you don’t need to see or talk to someone every day to have a good relationship with them. I think that realization was one of the best lessons I’ve learned so far.

4 comments:

Kate said...

me and manu are hot. and by me and manu i mean me. and. manu. not as a coupley thing at all.
also, when i ganked the mic, i should have ganked a bottle of tequila, that could have had a very happy ending :)
love you pookie! im glad you had a special birthday :)
besos!

Anonymous said...

Feliz Dia De Los Enamorados!!!
-Susan Pommerenke

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy your birthday was awesome!!! We'll have a super big celebration for you when you get back too! :-)

Anonymous said...

VALERIE!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I havent' talked to you in forever...but happy freaking birthday!!!!!!! how ya doin yo?!?! I miss you!
hearts,
casey