Wednesday, January 17, 2007

altas y bajas

They told us at our first orientation that we would have high points and low points during our stay here and these past few days, I feel like I am more on a rollercoaster. So I'll list the good and bad things about the past few days:

PROS

  • I HAVE AN APARTMENT!! I am so relieved/excited to have one. It feels like a tremendous weight off of my shoulders. I live on the third floor right above a radio station and a few offices. The apartment is much nicer than any other student one, it really feels grown up. I have my own room and a shelf in the bathroom as well as in the fridge. I live with the duena (landlady), a girl from Brazil who is studying journalism, a guy from Italy who is studying medicine, and a guy from Germany who will move in sometime in February. The only language we have in common is Spanish, and they all seem really really good at it. Hopefully I will be too since it will be the only way I will be able to communicate! (hand/facial gestures aside) I paid my deposit and got my keys today and I move in on Friday and will put pictures up prompty :)
  • I haven't gotten lost. I really feel like I am beginning to know the city. I am still a one-trick pony when it comes to getting anywhere (I know one way and stick to it), but I end up where I want to be which every time feels like an accomplishment
  • I really enjoy all of my classes. The topics are very interesting (especially the Spain is Different (the lit class) and my Spanish for business) and the professors are very engaging. Plus, I will probably only spend 50 euros tops for books. (!!)
  • Going out at night is a lot of fun. There are so many elements to the city that seemingly only come alive at night. Everyone is super friendly and the Irish pub and Rock cafe (which serves chocolate rock which is hot chocolate spiked with Frangelica - to die for!) are for sure highlights.
  • Walking everywhere. No worrying about gas, parking, or anything! I feel like I have/should be losing weight.
  • My Spanish. Surpisingly, I know something. It really is just like everyone has said: you'd be amazed at what you know when you are forced to use it. So far I have (on my own)
    1. Found/Rented an apartment
    2. Bought a SIM card for my mobil, and a monthly plan
    3. Fed myself
    4. Made a friend (Theresa, she is a nanny from Germany. The word really is o-pear, a French word, but I have no idea how to spell it)

CONS
  • THE WEATHER. Today was horrifying. I forgot my umbrella in my grammar class, and thought I would be ok until this afternoon when I would be back on south campus. I WAS NOT OK. I WAS SO NOT OK I CAN'T EVEN RELATE THIS IN WORDS. It was colder, and it rained almost every single minute of the day. and if the cold rain wasn't enough, there was wind so strong that it made me lose my balance a few times. The combination of the two ment that in many places the street was littered with inside-out umbrellas. I was one of the lucky ones without long pants and a raincoat, so I stayed relatively dry. But it was miserable.
  • Stress of finding an apartment. It was cutthroat because there wasn't enough apartments for everyone to live where they wanted to. So I was really proactive and got a great apartment, but it made me feel guilty because other people wanted it too. It made the group feel really tense but now that everyone has an apartment it feels a lot better. But seriously, this was not a good experience. In my opinion, KU needs to secure housing for us in advance. It is stressful enough trying to get around and take care of yourself in a foriegn country without having to constantly worry and compete to find somewhere to live.
  • Walking everywhere. This I will get used to, but as of now I have shin splints and my thighs hurt. Still, whine whine whine.
  • Spanish costumer service. WHAT AN OXYMORON! they do not care at all about you. When you go to a resteraunt to eat, you have to chase them down for the check. If you go to a shoe store, you have to patiently wait for them to finish talking to a co-worker/paper clipping some papers/staring into space before they'll even acknowledge you are there THEN they act very inconvienced when you open your mouth to ask something. If you want to change your rent check into euros, you have to wait for them to finish their conversation at the copier and then wait for them to do their personal transactions (I assmue it was that, either that or he straight up stole from the bank). If something doesn't work or you aren't happy, don't bother taking it back or asking for additional help. they don't care.
  • Vosotros. For all of you non-Spanish buffs, it is a form of verb that translates you "you-all". For example, dormís hasta cuatro means you all sleep until four. I have had teachers who have taught it, and others who say no one uses it. So instead I learned how to say things this way, duermen hasta cuatro which means you (plural) sleep until four. Not a big difference, people still understand what I am saying, but it is frustrating because it is really hard for me to use it because for most of the verbs I know I don't know/never learned the vosotros.

Thank you all for your posts/emails. It really stems off the homesickness. :)

5 comments:

Tom said...

Ahh the weather. Let's see which sucks worse. You with upper 40s, windy, dank and rainy. Or 2 degrees (F) wind chill below 0 (F) and 2-4 inches of ice everywhere for days. Many without electricity for 4+ days.

OK it's a draw. Anytime it isn't sunny and 78 (F) with a light breeze and a cold one in your hand is a lousy day.

So maybe this weekend after you move into your new digs you can just relax for day. Then again there is the evening entertainment!

I agree KU should do a better job with the housing. It's not like they don't do this every semester.

Anonymous said...

Whew!!!!!!!!! So much news and I love it!!!!! I am thrilled for your finding a nice apt. This will be such an experience for you with only Spanish as the common language. On Monday we had 74 degrees in the afternoon...today 33. Is it ever sunny there? Should I buy stock in the umbrella dept???

Love you lots, Valerie
Aunt Debby

gayle said...

Hey, great to read about all you are doing! Sounds like a wonderful adventure! We are going out with your parents tomorrow night to the Yard House.

Anonymous said...

Hey Valerie!

It's awesome to read about your adventures so far! We've been doing pretty good here, although it has been WAY cold. Today it warmed up to about 30 and it feels like a sauna. lol

Anyway, good luck with classes, and I'm super happy you have an apartment!

Kate said...

pookie! siempre, eres una punta de mi vida ALTA.
anoche era taaaaaaan divertida!
muchas smooches!